About Us

The Village Hall has been at the heart of community life in Chudleigh Knighton for over one hundred years. Originally it was rented as a Working Men's Club from Charles Seale Hayne M.P. of Pitt House, until Miss Kathleen Hawker of Teigh Lawn, was able to buy it with her sisters and run it herself as Honorary Secretary until her death in 1947.

Local companies Watts' Blake and Bearne, Devon and Courtney Clay Co. Ltd and Mssrs Candy and Co made regular donations to the club.

In 1958, women were entitled to be full members of the Club for the first time. The Village Hall was known as the Chudleigh Knighton Working Men's Club until 1954. The building was sometimes known as the Club Room. Then became the Chudleigh Knighton Club until 1963 when it became the Village Hall.
Photo
Village Hall circa.
Chudleigh Knighton Village Hall is wholly owned by the residents of Chudleigh Knighton Village and run as a charity by an elected committee on their behalf.

Our aim is to ensure the hall is available to individuals and organisations alike and to use the funds to maintain & improve the facilities of the hall for all villagers.

There are three meeting rooms, a large first floor hall with kitchen, stage and ante room along with one of the few remaining snooker tables in the area. All these facilities are available for hire by residents and non-residents alike.
Photo
The Village Hall Today
Photo
The Old Library
Photo
Hall Garden
Photo
Garden Room
Photo
Snooker Room
Photo
Main Hall
TimeLine 1889:
Will made by Charles Seale Hayne MP describes “Chudleigh Knighton Working Men’s Club in the village designed as three cottages with garden and orchard adjacent, then the occupation of the club as tenants at will.”

1902:
Miss Kathleen Hawker, eldest of four sisters, becomes secretary of the Working Men’s Club

1947:
Miss Hawker, Honorary Secretary since 1902, dies aged 89

1954:
Name changed from Chudleigh Knighton Working Men’s Club to Chudleigh Knighton Club.

1963:
Name changed to Chudleigh Knighton Village Hall

2005:
Janette Parker the first woman to be elected as chairman

For further details go to the "Village Hall" page.
 
CKSmallLogo
NewCKLogoWhite

Village Hall

VillageHallWhite1

Projects

ProjectsWhite1

Contact Us

ContactUsWhite

Gallery

GalleryWhite1

Home

HomeWhite

Community

CommunityWhite1

About Us

AboutUsWhite
Time Line